Great topic and great posts thus far, here are some things I think are essentials...
1) Being Proactive versus reactive - you must guide your candidate and client through the process and talk about things like other interviews and counteroffers long before those things come up. Get up front contracts with your candidates and clients on common struggling points- if you have the same thing repeatedly costing you from success- you MUST learn and keep that from happening by proactively… Continue
Added by Rob Clarke on December 23, 2008 at 12:33pm —
There are not only 5 things that makes me smart recruiter. I would like to mention at least 5 out of that.
1) I know how and when to use the resources.
2) I always look for the new innovative ways/ideas for finding best profiles.
3) I am good in relationship building, i keep contact with the consultants as well as with vendors.
4) I like to learn new things so whenever i find something that i do not know, i make a note of it and later on i search and… Continue
Added by Swati Datta on December 23, 2008 at 5:30am —
The number one thing that makes me a smart recruiter is I Love What I do!
I Love being the one to fill the hard to fill positions
I Love being the one who found someone a job that really needed it
I Love being the subject matter expert for the hiring manangers and or clients of mine
I Love all the hard work I have put in over the years
I Love working with integrity
I Love not being afraid of being layed off because no matter what I will survive. I work hard,… Continue
Added by Gail Sortevik Levin on December 22, 2008 at 3:52pm —
This is a great topic and the responses have all been wonderful
For me, here is how I answer:
1) I love what I do. I love people and this industry.
2) I use technology and follow technology so I can make the most out of personal relationships
3) focus on other's favorite radio station-WIIFM-what's in it for me, I try to see things from their perspective, not my own.
4) Focus on win, win, win business relationships-if it is good for the… Continue
Added by Michael W. Patrick on December 22, 2008 at 3:00pm —
Have you ever wanted that new house or that new car and had to hold off because of that JOB (acronym for "just over broke") working for that, SOB.. is just helping you stay afloat financially?
Did you just get the notification for the BGE rate hike??
Have you seen gas prices lately?
Did you know ? ....The Retirement Age is now 67 and 62% of Retired Americans will be living on a monthly income of less then $1,200. "U.S. Census Bureau Statistic"
If you… Continue
Added by Steven Singer on December 22, 2008 at 2:56pm —
1. I made a decision NOT to be road-kill during this economic crisis. If I am to forecast anything, it won't be my own demise, LOL.
2. When I am between assignments, finding that next assignment IS my assignment, and I treat myself like I treat my best candidate.
3. I start my workday when others are asleep. I start @ 6:30 am. I put in a full day and I still have day light to do things which I enjoy...like finishing a book that I am writing.
4. I don't dwell… Continue
Added by Sheila on December 22, 2008 at 2:00pm —
Fun topic! I'll list the top reasons for my own personal success. Whether I am actually a "smart" recruiter is debatable!
I can take a $50K punch in the stomache and get right back up! In this business you MUST be able to "rise above" the daily ups and downs. No other profession has so much at stake with each day. I work in both direct and contract staffing. One day my spirit might be soaring high with a few new placements ready to start - and the very next… Continue
Added by Jerry Albright on December 22, 2008 at 11:30am —
Based on my agency background, here are my top five reasons:
– When you are a third-party recruiter (TPR), issues arise and you must be solutions-focused to move forward and recover quickly. Anticipate all possible scenarios in the hiring process and do not react emotionally.
2. Continuous learning
– We are very lucky to have so many leaders and experts in our field (especially on http://www.RecruitingBlogs.com - shameless plug) that willing to… Continue
Added by Jenny DeVaughn on December 22, 2008 at 12:59am —
What makes me a smart recruiter......
1. I realize this is a game of "finding" not "creating".
A lot of recruiters pay lip service to the old "round hole, square peg" line about the business, but only the ones who get it know deep down that this is a game of finding, not creating. There is a right job for every person and a right person (or more appropriately, right persons) for every job. I drive my business by focusing on finding the right fit, not trying to make what I… Continue
Added by Todd Kmiec on December 21, 2008 at 8:10am —
1. I interview every candidate - thoroughly - to understand who they are, what they want, and why I should introduce them to my clients' jobs
2. I never lie to clients or candidates - integrity is a key ingredient
3. I understand my clients' jobs - I ask questions & dig deep
4. I practice continuing education - we should never stop learning
5. I keep good records - make good use of my database
Added by Joe Peters on December 21, 2008 at 5:13am —
Do you recognize the frustration of seeing your budget shrink? It seems that today there isn’t a single industry left in peace – everywhere it seems the pressure from an unfit economy is felt fast and felt hard. And in the spirit of today’s tough economic times where the term “bailout” has suddenly received so much publicity and is on the tip of everyone’s tongue, we are making our own humble contribution to try and help you out with our very own “bailout package.” With SmartRecruiters the ATS… Continue
Added by SmartRecruiters on December 17, 2008 at 1:52pm —
It’s been a few very exciting weeks for SmartRecruiters! Almost four in fact since SmartRecruiters Beta was officially launched at the ERE Expo in Florida. And since we are nearing the end of our first month, this seems a great opportunity to say a big Thank You to everyone that became part of this bold new concept – from some of the most influential people in the industry who wrote about us, such as Gartner’s… Continue
Added by SmartRecruiters on November 25, 2008 at 4:21pm —
As the train pulled in this morning I waved at my fellow and familiar commuters. I shared where I'd been for a week to those that asked as we boarded the same double decker mode of transportation that pulls out of the station at the same time every day. I moved to the back of the car to my normal seat, fired up the laptop, and sipped on my coffee (from my new JuJu travel mug) and thought to myself, "It's good to get back into my morning groove where things are dependable and the… Continue
Added by RecruiterGuy on November 3, 2008 at 3:27pm —
This has been some very exciting times for us and for the industry! SmartRecruiters Beta was launched last week at the ERE conference in Florida and we have been overwhelmed by the great response we have received so far. We got some fantastic feedback and support from all sorts of different people and we are really excited to find that so many people are really interested in what we are doing.
An interesting question that we have received time and again before and after the launch of… Continue
Added by SmartRecruiters on November 3, 2008 at 8:00am —