It’s summertime! Feeling like I’ll take a lighthearted theme this month. One of the coolest things about my job is that I get a firsthand recall of the best—and the worst—things that happen during an interview.
The following are actual occurrences – I’m fairly certain that the individuals who were subjects here do not read my blog – so I think we’re safe. Enjoy!
- Showing up in person for a phone interview—in a tropical shirt and flip flops. “I thought we could just knock out the phone interview and in-person interview and save us both some time.” …..You certainly did!
- Listing technical skills on your resume that you don’t really have When the interviewer questioned you about it you said, “Well I wanted to be picked up by the search engines so I listed all the new technology I could think of.” …..That’s one way to “game” the system.
- Being rude or dismissive to the receptionist. OK, this one isn’t funny – but you are probably the same people who treat restaurant servers badly also.
- Posting sexist or lewd comments on your Twitter—and thinking that no one will look at it or care. …..Your social media is an extension of your personal character.
- Admitting drug use. The interview was going so well the subject of start date came up. Hiring Manager: “When can you start?” Candidate: “That depends. Marijuana becomes legal on January 1—will you stop pre-employment drug testing right away?” …..Actually, you’re right – just because you would be handling millions of dollars on behalf of our customers every day doesn’t mean you can’t come to work high. Seriously??
- Lying about a conviction. The results of a background check revealed a conviction for a violent crime. “It wasn’t me, it was my cousin—he looks a lot like me and has the same name.”…..And we were born on the same day, in the same city and we even have the same parents!
- Showing up drunk to the interview—and then taking a break half-way through to keep the buzz going. When confronted about it – “I had surgery and I needed more pain medication. It just smells like alcohol.” …..You and the guy in #5 can hang out together at the unemployment office!
- Talking thru your fantasies – “I’m really sorry, but I keep having visions of what being with you would be like. I don’t think I could work here, but would you like to have dinner with me tonight?” …..An innovative alternative to Match.com.
- Driving your Porsche to the interview – “Can I have an office next to the window? I need to keep an eye on my car while I’m working.” …..If your eye is on your car, whose eye is on your work?
I hope these little tidbits cause a smile. Enjoy your summer!