The Recruiter Files
There are certain traits I think every Recruiter needs to have, to be successful. Here they are, in no particular order:
- Be structured. Recruiting is a few simple disciplines practiced every day.
- Be able to adapt. You must me able to drop what you are doing to start something else. You never know where that next phone call is going to take you. This is the people business, we deal with people all day long. Even though each situation or scenario is the same – it is also different.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. You don’t know everything. Ask the candidate and company – they are the experts. Keep learning and become the expert in the industry.
- Partner with the Candidate. You are in this together. Be the expert, be the advisor and counselor. Make sure they have a good candidate experience. They are going to get a job and if it is not yours then make sure they remember you and refer others to you.
- Pick-up the phone. Too many newer recruiters are relying on technology and email. Just pick up the phone and talk to people.
- Use new technology with old techniques. You should be using social media to recruit and source. You should be using and know boolean strings. But you should also be networking, asking for referrals and again pick up the phone and make some cold calls.
- Prioritize. What is the most important task for you to do today? Is it sourcing new candidates? Interview prep? Each day is going to be different regarding which tasks are most important.
- Have a good home support system. Recruiting is NOT an 8-5 job. If that is what you want then choose another profession.
- Embrace patience. Everything doesn’t happen overnight. My sense of urgency is not the same as others.
- Handle rejection. You will hear “NO” more often than “YES”. Get used to it.
Did I miss any? Leave a comment and let me know your thoughts.