How important is workplace flexibility to working adults? It's important enough that 45% would sacrifice a portion of their salary to get it, according to a Staffing Industry Analysts article citing a Moms Corps survey.
They are also willing to give up increasingly large percentages of their salaries to get that flexibility. This year, they said they would be willing to take an 8.6% pay cut. Last year they said they would only be willing to slash their pay by 5.8%.
In addition, the survey found that:
- 67% believe they can "have it all" when it comes to work-life balance.
- 53% said they could get more done if they could occasionally work from home.
- 60% said that the economy has no impact on their desire for workplace flexibility.
This growing need for workplace flexibility is one of the major reasons more workers are choosing to become contractors. Contract staffing can help workers gain flexibility by allowing them to:
- Work hours that are convenient for them. Contract assignments are often project based, so companies may allow ﬂexible daily or weekly work schedules, as long as the work gets done on a timely basis.
- Not be tied to an office. If a candidate has what they need at home, they can often work between their home and ofﬁce. Smartphones, the Internet, and other technological advances are making this more and more feasible
- Take control of their free time. New employees typically only get one week of vacation, two tops. Even if they are willing to take the time unpaid, they often are not allowed. With contracting, if they want to take an extended vacation or take the summer off to be with their children, they simply don’t take an assignment during that time. Many contractors choose to take assignments in other states to take advantage of the opportunity to travel. They actually look at this as a vacation of sorts in which they can explore new areas, cultures, etc.
Do your candidates need or want more flexibility in their work? If so, you way want to suggest contract staffing as an option. By providing a way for them to achieve work-life balance, you can make yourself the recruiter of choice for top candidates in your niche.