Ok so I'm a big fan of Ning
, the company that powers this site as well as RecruitingBlogs.com
. In as little as 5 minutes anyone can create their own social network. There's even a premium version which allows you to remove the ads
and point to your own domain
This got me thinking that employers can take advantage of this technology to recruit. Here's how:
1. Create a social network for your company geared towards the industry you recruit for.
2. Require your recruiters to create content on it. Post your jobs. Give information on your interview process, etc.
3. Invite key employees to share content about what its like to work there and give a day-to-day look at their jobs.
4. Promote it on your main company career site to drive job seeker traffic. Give them incentives to become a member so that you can maintain a relationship with these candidates.
5. Use it as a PR tool to make new product announcements, personnel changes, etc.
Its cheap and easy to do this. But it takes a commitment.
Today's group of job seekers demand new and unique ways of communicating with your company. It's time employers started engaging this "iPod" generation on their own level.
It's time for HR to "cowboy up". Who among you will be the first?
For yet another unique recruiting idea, click here