If you are lucky, then whoever trained you in recruitment will have given you the old saying, " learn to know what assume really means - if you assume something then you make an ASS out of U and ME!"
So this morning, when my excellent newsletter from Mark Whitby arrived in my inbox, on the subject of assumptions being dangerous for recruiters, it was too good not to share!!
So here are the top 10 assumptions a recruiter should DEFINITELY not make (if they want to be successful that is!).
1. Assuming the candidate will get good references.
2. Assuming the candidate will prepare for the interview.
3. Assuming the candidate will show up!
4. Assuming the candidate is only interviewing with your client.
5. Assuming you already know what the client is looking for.
6. Assuming the client is using you exclusively.
7. Assuming the client won’t use you exclusively.
8. Assuming the client can and will sell their opportunity to the candidate.
9. Assuming the client will offer the right package.
10. Assuming the candidate will accept the offer.
And there is a bonus one that we definitely should not forget........... Assuming the candidate will stay in the job once they’ve started. (Nothing worse than having to all that work again is there - or even worse refunding a fee!!)
Now remember what happens if you assume something??
For all you recruiters needing to improve you skills check Mark out - it is definitely worth your time. I have a number of his training CD' and they are excellent!! Here's what he does. Mark Whitby - The Recruitment Coach - helps recruiters and recruiting firm owners to maximize their billings and business performance. If you want to generate more clients, candidates and placements, get your FREE tips now at: http://www.RecruiterTrainingOnline.com.