Recruitment consultants are Sales people. Full Stop. Sales people have their ups and downs and so do Recruitment consultants. Full Stop. The key difference is that Recruitment consultants hate being referred to as Sales people. Full Stop. Hence they do not overcome their ‘down time’ as efficiently as Sales people. Full Stop. Worse still, many recruitment managers do not believe their consultants should have down times. Full Stop.
Hence this blog may be controversial in nature (to many managers) but I do hope it helps minimise your ‘down time’.
1. Update your resume with your achievements, read it and give yourself a pat – no one lists their ‘down time’ on resumes do they?
2. Go to the bathroom, stare into the mirror and scream out loud “Damn, I’m bloody good, so why the %&$# am I sulking?”
3. Pick up the phone and talk to candidates you’ve recently placed. Better still meet them for a nice cup of coffee. The conversation is bound to be good.
4. Stare at those family pictures on your desk – your body language will automatically improve
5. Change your seating & hot desk yourself next to someone who has been performing that week (note I’m not saying high performer, cause even high performers have their ’down’ moments)
6. Take a break - from a few minutes, to a couple of hours to even a day – no point warming that seat of yours just to look busy. You’ll only end up depressed
7. Talk to someone you trust, be honest and tell them what you are going through (similar to those Alcoholics / Narcotics Anonymous meetings)
8. Work on a recruiting aspect you love doing – references, interviews, marketing etc
9. Clear your desk, tidy up and start afresh. Often a simple act like scrubbing your desk will clear the cobwebs in your mind
One way of looking at the 80:20 rule is 80% mindset and 20% skill. Yet when the chips are down we focus on improving the 20%, when instead a slight change to the mindset will work magic to the 80%.
Do whatever it takes but do not walk around with a body language that makes you look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame !