I always welcome comments, suggestions and advice; and my goal is to help share both our success and failure in this new territory of social recruiting. I am an introvert at heart and although you probably won’t “get that” if you meet me in person, I am verypassionate and endlessly curious.
My official title at Deluxe Corporation is Talent Community Manager. In a nutshell, I create and evangelize the social media recruiting strategy. In many ways, the role requires me to be an integrated marketer (coordinating the elements of the promotional mix — advertising, public relations, marketing and sales promotion—to produce a customer focused message and enhance the Deluxe brand).
When I was hired there were only two or three individuals nation-wide with the same title. Since then, I have continually received questions from people who are beginning their journey in the same type of role. Through blogging, I hope to share the road map I am working from, as well as my ideas for accomplishing the goals we have set for Deluxe’s social recruiting.
Big goals we have in mind:
- Cut the word “candidate” from our vocabulary. They are customers and we need to begin treating them that way!
- Concentrate on becoming a recruiting organization. Every employee at Deluxe should consider themselves a recruiter.
- Promote the “New Deluxe” – the company is in transformation and a large part of my role is to help others understand our new brand.
- Build solid emotional connections with our customers.
If you are lucky enough to have a role dedicated to creating a Talent Community, then my best piece of advice is to think outside the box and make innovation a top priority. It’s also about establishing relationships and responding to the unique needs of each customer. In all, I believe making the decision about where you work is equivalent to other major life decisions like buying a new car, getting married or purchasing a house.
Innovative projects our team is working on:
- Culture Video - It’s a great way for potential employees to get an idea of what it’s like to work for our organization. http://bit.ly/b492OT
- Hiring Videos – I had one of those “ah ha” moments when I realized that we should grab the flipcam and have hiring managers talk about the roles they are hiring for. It’s a worldof difference from the typical textual job posting. http://bit.ly/9c5PUv
- New Marketing – I had fun with some cutting edge technology at the Social Media Breakfast while producing its marketing material and T-shirts that had QR codes to drive customers directly to our Facebook page. http://bit.ly/9UPhPa
In the new social media recruiting world, there isn’t just one tool to accomplish goals, there are many and you will likely use several (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or a blog) that each require different means of action to reach an audience; and with these new tools we can now connect with our audience in a way that they want to be reached!
Stacy Van Meter