A recruitment agency serves as an intermediary that fosters a very important relationship between you and the candidate (or the job seeker). So choosing the right recruitment agency is a very important concern for you as a client.
Since you’ll be paying them a lot of money for their services you wouldn’t want to go wrong. Recruitment agencies are not all the same. They differ in the types of jobs they offer, the sector they have experience in, their location and the type of services they offer.
An agency which is worth your money is an agency that will make the recruiting process easier and faster, understand your requirements and give you access to relevant candidates.
How do you make sure that you’ll choose the right recruitment agency? Here are some tips:
- Make a list and gather information about agencies available in the job market. You can find these lists on job boards and searching through Linkedin.
- Check the recruitment agency personally by visiting them or talking to the owner on the phone.
- Find out which recruitment agencies are used by your competition since these agencies will probably have suitable candidates. You can also ask for references.
- Be sure to look for local recruitment agencies because people who are looking for work in your area are most likely registered with these companies.
- Don’t hesitate to assess the recruitment consultants who perform the evaluation or selection of the candidates. Make sure they are qualified and have the necessary expertise in your industry and experience in targeting people with the skills you’re looking for. When you talk to them you have to be clear about your needs and requirements. Make sure that they understand your business, your company’s culture and what you’re looking for in a candidate.
- Ask the agency to describe what is involved in the process of selection of the candidates and look for a long, thorough process. Find out which recruiting software or ATS they are using. Also look for agencies that perform background checks, that give detailed information and agencies that perform interviews with the candidates before they send you resumes or CVs.
- Find out the average number of resumes or CVs you will receive but beware of agencies that promise a lot of resumes in a short time. It is important that you look for quality not quantity. Also beware of agencies that promise staff at a very low price since they may not be offering high-quality candidates.
- The leading recruitment agencies would offer replacement guarantees in the contract in case the candidate doesn’t perform well. You should also be clear on how to handle duplicate candidates.
- Know that a respectable recruitment agency would have a license and be a member of a recruitment industry body and follow the standard practices and codes.
- Make sure the business arrangement between you and the agency is put in writing in the contract. This should also clearly specify the agreed upon billing and payment terms.
The most important thing is to make sure that you’ll be comfortable with the agency and have confidence that they will represent you in the right manner. Ask yourself the question whether you’d want to work with that agency if you were a candidate.
If the answer is ‘yes’ then go for it!