A while back I came across an article that was able to bring the interview back to 4 main questions. I have always found this information to be helpful to share with candidates before an interview.
I would be interested in get your thoughts on if you feel anything is missing.
1.) Why are you here?
- No one is going to ask you this straight out, but it is something good to consider before going in for an interview. What skill do you have that will allow you to be successful in the position you are applying for?
2.) What are you able to do for us?
- This is very closely related to question #1. You obviously have a set of skills that have brought you to this interview, and now it is time to speak about how these skills can benefit the company. In order to prep for an interview, you need to understand what you are able to do for a company.
3.) Will you fit in?
- No matter the position you are interviewing for, this is a VERY important question to the team and manager.
- You may have all the skills in the world, but won’t get the job if the team can’t stand the sight of you.
- This can also go the other way. The interview is a great opportunity for you to look at the team, and ask Will I fit in?
4.) What makes you better than the 6 other candidates I have interviewed?
- This question was more apparent during the recession, but still holds true today.
- This can be brought back to the small things during an interview; Dressing to impress, good communication, professionalism, following up with a hand written thank you letter, etc…
It’s the smaller things during the interview process that will set you apart from the competition. You can never be to overly prepared for your next great job!