Look inwards and you will find amazing opportunities around you. Rather looking in the external market, your first research should be on the opportunities available within the company. Finding the next big opportunity within the company might not happen over night. It is a long and structured process. You need to build a strong ground for yourself and project your work all the time. One of the key skills you need to develop is on Smart networking.
- Identify the influential or key people in the company.
- Introduce yourself to other departments.
- Break down boundaries and develop a good rapport with other departments.
- Create bridges between departments.
- Find a common work-related ground to continue conversations.
- Network informally but with a plan.
- Develop a pyramid of people, starting with the easiest to network with.
- Networking is building relationships so add value to the conversations by sharing ideas, information, news etc., without expecting anything in return right away.
- Internal networking is not a forum where any publicity is good publicity. So watch your words all the time.