If I were in need of talent and just starting a company one of my first hires would not be a regular recruiter. It would be a Social Media Recruiter
I believe over the next few years many companies will be doing the same. When it comes to recruiting in social media, it is very much a human driven strategy
. Its takes an actual person, not technology to do it.
There was a lot of talk at the Social Recruiting conference
last month about the 'tools' but they are only part of the equation. It takes special skills to do this and I wanted to write this post with some guidelines for the Job description
of a social media recruiter. I think if your company is going to venture into this arena to recruit, start small with 1 person and let them teach the rest.
First I have to point out 2 people who come to mind as excellent examples of what I consider true Social Media Recruiters. Chris Hoyt
from AT&T and Kerry Noone
from Sodexo. These two individuals are among the most prolific bloggers/tweeters/facebookers I have ever seen and you would do well by following them and learning through osmosis. They have almost single-handedly strengthened each of their companies employment brands
through their efforts.
So lets define the role. If you have anything to add, please comment:
SOCIAL MEDIA RECRUITER
A person who engages with and sources job candidates through online social networking tools and technology, while representing and promoting an employers brand.
To establish & maintain relationships online to help proactivly fill the talent pipeline.
* Use Twitter to promote new jobs and communicate the positives of working for company.
* Use Twitter to answer follower questions about working for, or applying to jobs.
* Maintain Facebook fan page by writing/posting content such as links, videos and pictures of workplace.
* Manage Facebook ads for specific job postings.
* Write content for company recruiting blog on topics such as job search advice, best practices for applying, whats it like to work there, etc.
* Source candidates through online tools such as LinkedIn, ZoomInfo, Twitter, etc.
Chris Russell is the founder and Chief Jobcaster at Jobs in Pods, the only podcast that lets employers talk about their jobs and tell job seekers what its like to work there.