Not all VMS opportunities are bad; they’re just not all created equal.
Next time you have a prospect you are pursuing using a VMS system to manage the process, apply the VMS Test. Your results will guide you in learning if it is worth your time, energy, and effort to accept this business.
Answer each question “yes” or “no.”
- Have you been provided with detailed job descriptions, required and desired skills, details on cultural fit, and specifics on compensation and benefits (if applicable)?
- Will you have access to the managers to whom the positions report to ask questions and discuss important details?
- Has the client committed to providing detailed feedback about submittals within one to two business days (at most) from submission?
- Does the client appear to be using the VMS system in a manner which reduces labor intensity?
- Has the customer designed and communicated a hiring process, using the VMS, that appears to be fair, reasonable, and workable, especially when compared with how you normally do business?
- Does the amount of labor intensity required to do the work seem reasonable when compared to potential profits?
- Has your primary contact been highly responsive to calls and e-mails?
- Does this business opportunity seem to be sustainable over the weeks, months, and even years ahead?
- Has the customer indicated an openness to feedback when their process is not working effectively?
- Having carefully thought about and answered these questions, are you excited about this VMS opportunity?
Count the number of “yes” answers and compare to the scores below.
If you had 10:
There is a better than average likelihood that this business is worth the effort.
This has potential as long as the prospect adequately addresses your “no” response.
You’re likely to be disappointed with your return on your investment of time, energy, and effort. Proceed with extreme caution, working with the prospect to deal with your “no” responses.
This prospective customer will become a drain on your time, energy, and efforts. Pursuing this is not recommended.
RUN AWAY NOW! This account is not worth pursuing.