There are many things that contribute to me being a smart recruiter, but the top 5 have to be:
1) I do my homework - on both the candidate and the client side - do the references, read the blogs, myspaces, websites anything I can google : )
2) I ask questions and don't assume anyting - you don't know how many times people put things on their resumes but really have no idea what they are talking about!! Same goes for a client, sometimes they put down a qualification but really mean something totally different.
3) I always have on my recruiter hat - no matter where I am grocery store, airplane, I am always looking at how I might be able to network with others! You never know who could be standing/sitting next to you!
4) I make the most of what I have available - if I am out of postings, then I use my networking skills, if I need someone at a specific company I talk to people from the company to see who might have left etc etc. I think recruiters are Innovative and are constantly finding out new ways to network
5) I send out hand written cards/postcards/note cards - personally I use sendoutcards.com for both clients and candidates, this goes along way! People love to get personal mail even if its just to say thanks for taking the time to talk to me.