Last week several people from our staffing firm attended the American Staffing Association conference in New Orleans. As the owner of both a staffing firm (Dawson Resources) and a video technology firm (TalentRooster) I was able to observe from a unique angle. Our staffing firm is based in Ohio, where the economy couldn't be worse, yet our business couldn't be better, which got me thinking.... Clearly I'm no smarter than other owners, so what are we doing better? Following are the top 10 reasons why we are enjoying success:
1. Culture. People love working here - average tenure is 4 years+
2. Technology. We provide smart phones and remote access to our ATS, enabling them 24/7 access to everything.
3. Technology. We represent EVERY candidate with video and it's been a game changer.
4. Culture. Our dress code is business casual and jeans on Friday.
5. Culture. We provide fresh baked cookies and bottled water to our candidates.
6. Technology. We drug test (on site), background check and video ALL candidates we hire.
7. Culture. We play music at work!
8. Culture. Employees are empowered to make decisions and run lines of business.
9. Culture. If a client is locked in on lowest price or abusive to staff, we walk.
10. Culture. We host quarterly events offsite, for staff to blow some steam and have fun!
It turns out that culture and technology are what it takes to be successful in staffing today. Sadly, few owners truly understand the importance of these two components and they will continue to run mediocre firms.