There’s something rather entertaining about retro slang and sayings. Perhaps it’s due to the over-saturation (as if it’s been raining cats and dogs or ice buckets) or overuse of the latest industry buzzwords or pure exhaustion from the endless auto-play videos of any fashionable Internet fad.
Though there are different opinions about the origin and meaning, for me the phrase “you’re damn skippy!” always produces a spontaneous smirk or chuckle. A previous boss of mine was known to throw that out every now and then, along with a few more colorful exclamations, such as: “s/he is about as useful as t!t$ on a bull.”
There’s an endless supply of repurposed vocabulary on Urban Dictionary offering the 13-year-old in some of us hours of amusement. So I hear…
While we may not be able to, or even want to, resurface many old-fashioned idioms, for sure there are plenty of recent terms we could do without. Here’s my list of things that are not groovy, bitchen, rad, gnarly or swell:
- Thought-leader (ugh, just ugh!)
- Storyteller (the “new & improved” thought-leader, apparently?)
- Social recruiting (as if there’s any other kind)
- Hire for attitude, train for skill (because obviously no one can be both well-adjusted and highly-intelligent/skilled?)
- Open letter to ANYONE (just vent, rant, postulate openly if you see fit - no need to address someone that probably won’t read it anyway)
- Articles titled “Lessons we can learn from__” *fill-in-your-pop-culture-reference-of-choice* (for the dumb & dumber crowd who thinks the biebs is a great source of inspiration)
- Hack (trying to make an ordinary tip sound super sexy and innovative)
- Infographic (a picture may be worth a 1000 words, but it’s worth nothing on a mobile device)
- Leaked nudes (Yikes! Makes those red eyed red solo cup pics seem pretty tame)
- Multiple generations in the workforce (Yep. That’s pretty much been the case since the cavemen era)
- War for talent (overly dramatic way to describe what isn’t even a scuffle, battle or tiff)
Do any of these rub you the wrong way? What would you spunky whippersnappers add?