Facebook Recruiting: How HP Does It

Companies are constantly asking how they can create a great Facebook Career Page to recruit top talent for their organization. Rather than simply telling them how to make a great page, it's so much easier to show them with live examples. Here's what we like about HP's page:

For one, they've created a dedicated page for HP Careers which they keep separate from their corporate marketing page. Their main Facebook Page is largely about their products and, while your customers may also be your future employees, it's best for a brand this large not to mix messages on their page. Rather, their Career page can focus on showcasing their employment brand and building their talent community. 

Their employment brand starts to show through in their cover photo - there are a dozen photos showing bright, smiling faces. Some show people that appear to be collaborating in a team-oriented environment, while another shows a college graduation ceremony that indicates they're looking for recent college grads. Nearly everyone appears to be very young - giving them a fresh, energetic feel. While this is probably indicative of the fact that younger generations can be more easily found on Facebook than other sites, it would be in their best interest to show that they also hire more seasoned employees.

They have a great logo to use for their profile picture, which is highly recognizable (great for their employment brand) and large enough to see when it's used as an icon in their status updates. Many companies don't have a logo that works well in this space, in which case we'd recommend using just a portion of your logo, perhaps an icon.

As you can see below their cover photo, they have 27,839 people in their talent community. While this is only a fraction of their 2.3 million corporate Facebook page likes, these are all people who have essentially opted-in to be a part of HP's Talent Community and receive Career-related news. A smaller following of interested people will always be better than a larger following of people that just don't care what you have to say. The old saying holds true: quality over quantity.

Directly under their cover photo, there is room for a short 'About Us' section.They use this space to communicate the benefits of liking their page, and to show that they're a large company with over 300,000 employees. It's great to keep this short and sweet!

HP uses a job posting app to post jobs to their Facebook page. In the screenshot above, it's the app that's showing in the second place spot. A job posting app allows them to create a social job board, so that their jobs can be shared on the Facebook network, as well as on Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Plus, and any other site you can use to push out jobs. Postings are often picked up by major job aggregators, including Indeed and Simply Hired, to increase their reach. 

The third app listed, Planet HP, is also great for their employer brand because it discusses leadership, diversity, benefits, and learning and development. Each of these sections goes into quick detail about why HP is such a great place to work. This gives the candidate an idea of why they should choose HP over other employers, and helps them bring in top talent.

Their status updates solidify this further, by discussing philanthropy projects (which employees may participate in) and unique benefits (such as onsite doctors). They don't tend to share many jobs on their Timeline, but their other posts are enough to get someone excited about working at HP and drive them to check out open positions on their Facebook page. With so many open positions, they couldn't possibly post them all, anyway. It's a best practice to post jobs less than 20% of the time, and to spend the other 80% building your employment brand and engaging with your Talent Community. HP has done a great job with both of those things - check out their page to see what we're talking about!

Views: 182

Comment

You need to be a member of RecruitingBlogs to add comments!

Join RecruitingBlogs

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

#HRTX LIVE

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

Recruiting Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

© 2018   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service